Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Jan 2023 15:47:49 GMT by real0411
Hello,  I have just moved to the UK in July 2021 with my family on a BNO visa. I would like to know how to fill out the form to return as I am not in UK employment but work overseas for a company, so I don't have PAYE yet. Since the online form requested me to provide a PAYE code to fill in, I do not have any. Is there any solution for my case? Moreover, I would like to know whether the MPF Mandatory Provident Fund contribution amount in Hong Kong needs to be included in my tax return, as it seems tax-free. According to the DT9207 Hong Kong Pensions, contributions to MPF appear to be exempt.Does it mean that it does not have to be included in the self-assessment? It would be great if you could answer these questions and provide any related links or websites, if possible. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:45:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If tax has been deducted on this income, you will also show this on the foreign page and you do not need a PAYE ref. If no tax has been deducted, you need to declare this as self employment only. You do not need to declare the MPF payment.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 14:59:49 GMT by uk_Lorenzo Lam
Hi, I have a similar situation and I would like to have a follow-up question based on HMRC's reply: Regarding HMRC's reply to the query on the MPF contribution: ...."You do not need to declare the MPF payment", are you referring to the monthly MPF contribution by the employee (which is already deducted from each month's salary by the employer), or are you referring to the payment to the account holder (lump sum or monthly) from the MPF scheme provider? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:21:35 GMT by
Hi uk_Lorenzo Lam,

The MPF payment made to the individual is not taxable in the UK and does not need to be reported to HMRC.

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.