Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Dec 2022 05:45:28 GMT by Caroline Stead
I did post a question about this on one of the forums a few weeks ago but though I subscribed to it I have never seen the response and cannot find it despite searching back. So, having with some difficulty (no advice or signposting whatsoever on the HMRC website re the new process though I was told that the old option, within the return itself, had been removed for security) worked out how to request a refund and supplied my bank account details, I have heard nothing since. So how long is this supposed to take, please, and should I not receive any notification from HMRC to update me? In past years, if my calculation has showed that I owed some money, I have paid it asap, but evidently the reverse is not the case. Also, it is possible that despite my request that the refund be credited to my bank account, HMRC will instead opt to ask my employer to return it via payroll? Again, it would be helpful to have some information.
Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:09:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

When a repayment is created you should have it within 3 weeks unless it has been selected for additional security checks. If we required further information you should receive a letter.

If you have not heard anything please contact our Self Assessment team who can check the position.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.