Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:31:57 GMT by Varsha
Hello, I have recently registered for Self Assessment and will be filing my SA tax return for 21/22 in the next couple of weeks. Before I became registered for SA, I submitted a claim for tax relief on working from home expenses for tax years 20/21 and 21/22 via the GOV.UK website and my online tax account. HMRC has processed these claims and sent me a cheque for overpaid tax reflecting the claims made. In my 21/22 SA tax return, for completeness and accuracy, should I include the claim for tax relief on working from home expenses (this has already been processed and refund given as explained above) and also include the details of income tax refunded, such that the overall effect of the claim and the refund shown in the tax return net down to nil? Or would you suggest leaving both the working from home expense claim and the income tax refund out of the 21/22 SA tax return as it has already been processed?
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:34:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You should include both the clam and the refund for 2021 to 2022 in your tax return. You will need to refer to the calculations previously issued to ensure that you only include the repayment for 2021 to 2022.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.