Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Jan 2023 17:45:00 GMT by Tetiana Dym.
I came to the UK on a Start-Up visa to work as a sole trader for one of the UK Start-Up visa endorsing bodies ( I.e. my sole tradership in the UK required me to incur travel costs like UK visa fee, health surcharge, plane tickets, moving company costs etc. Can I include the above mentioned costs in my self-assessment and deduct them from the tax? I found a regulation stating that UK visa costs are tax-deductible for employees, but nothing as to sole traders Thank
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 14:50:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The guidance below indicates you are allowed to work elsewhere on this and as such the costs are not solely for the work you do on a slef employed basis. You therefore cannot claim these as business expenses.

Start-up visa

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.