Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 14:59:49 GMT by CatLi
Hi HRMC Admin, I left Hong Kong and arrived in the UK in Mar 2022. Currently, I am remote working as an employee from a Hong Kong company and also I have rental and interest income in Hong Kong. Both my family and I were born in Hong Kong. May I know if I am eligible for paying tax on remittance basis? Also, do I need to pay National Insurance if I decided to claim the remittance basis on my tax return ? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 14:19:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CatLi,
Please refer to guidance here:
Remittance basis 2023 (HS264)
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 12:26:03 GMT by CatLi
Hi HRMC Admin, Thanks. I have reviewed the guidance "Remittance basis 2023 (HS264)" and likely I am non-domicile outside UK. May I further clarify the following: I am remotely working in the UK home for Hong Kong employer. So, is the salary earned classified as foreign income or UK-based income? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:28:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you are paying tax in Hong Kong on the income, you will declare it under both self employment and foreign income in order to claim the Foreign Tax Credit Relief. This does not double the income.

If no foreign tax paid, it is just under self employment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.