Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Jan 2023 13:51:47 GMT by Matthew
Hello, If I attach an EIS deferral relief claim via self-assessment, can I also make an Income Tax relief claim on the same form, or do I need to submit a separate claim via post? For example, if I wish to defer a gain made in the 21/22 year with EIS shares issued in the same year, but I also wish to claim IT relief in the 20/21 year, can I attach both claims in the 21/22 self-assessment tax return? Or can I only attach the deferral relief claim and the IT claim must be posted separately? To double check, when making a deferral relief claim, should I reduce the "gains in the year" in the CGT calculation by the amount deferred ? The notes specify: "This figure will be the gain minus any relief, claims or elections.". Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 09:23:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to submit a separate claim for 2020 to 2021 to include the EIS certificates.  

Yes, you reduce the 'gains in the year, before losses' figure by the amount deferred in the section that is applicable to what you have disposed of in the capital gains pages.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.