Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:36:11 GMT by VANESSA CULBERT
Yes, self assessment is necessary as covers alot of miles in the tax year
Posted Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:16:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Jim Whitmore ,
If your claim is over £2500 then a tax return is required.

It is not the amount of expected relief ie 2500 x 20% .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:27:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17


If a fuel card is provided, we tax the employee on the whole amount charged to the card whether the fuel was for business or private use.

Relief for the costs of business travel is given by mileage allowance relief.

However, if the employer is already deducting the private mileage then you cannot claim for this  .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 Feb 2023 07:19:40 GMT by Antony shaw
Hi, I see this question has been asked a number of times but for my own clarity please. I use my own vehicle for company use and I am charged 14p/mile by my employer for the private element of this. Am I able to claim the difference up to 45p via self assessment to cover the costs of wear and tear to my vehicle? I have read above that you can but I’m just checking. Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 Feb 2023 10:19:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Antony shaw,

You are correct please see the rates here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 12:35:26 GMT by vanilaicecream260
What if I am using a courier service's vehicle? Actually I am using Leopard courier service's vehicle and I am not sure what is the tax deduction in UK. However, I will ask my company for sure. 
Posted Fri, 03 Mar 2023 14:10:53 GMT by Stephen.Piper
Afternoon Just need to clarify. I use my own car for business and personal use, I have a fuel card that covers all my fuel. I get a car allowance each month and have my personal mileage deducted at 14p per mile. Can I claim on my business miles for the difference between the 14p and the allowance of 45p even though I don't pay for the fuel, for wear and tear on my car. Many Thanks for your help
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2023 11:52:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi vanilaicecream260

Your employer will be able to confirm this.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:38:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Stephen Piper,

The second example in the following guidance shows that you can claim the balance of £0.45 per mile for the first 10000 miles and the balance of £0.25 for any mileage above this.  

EIM31355 - Employees using own vehicles for work: examples: mileage allowance payments at pence per mile rate

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 19:48:53 GMT by Janedoe2
Hi, Sorry, still slightly unsure on the previous answers for my circumstances. Company offer a fuel card and deduct a set amount out of my salary per month to cover private mileage. It is a private car, but I get an allowance to cover wear and tear etc so not able to claim mileage. What is the tax implication, if any? Thanks
Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 16:05:35 GMT by Steve Morton
Hi - I have just changed from a company car to a car cash allowance. I get a fuel card to pay for all my fuel but have to pay back for private mileage each month at the HRMC rates (currently 15p per mile). My business mileage is paid for by the fuel card but I do not receive anything for wear and tear of my vehicle. Therefore can I claim any tax allowance for this? My employer is paying for the cost of the fuel but nowhere near 45p for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p thereafter. I don't currently complete self assessment but would be happy to do so if it means I can claim for this (I do circa 15,000 business miles per year). If I can claim how do I do so and how would I calculate how much the company have paid for business miles - would I use HRMC rates? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:23:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Janedoe2,

You will need to query this with your employer if they will be reporting the fuel card as a taxable benefit.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:19:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can claim the mileage rates and take off the amount that your employer pays you. You can see more information here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.