Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 16:07:55 GMT by VP
I and my daughter are UK resident but non-dom. I have generated foreign income and choose remittance basis in tax reporting and thus I dont need to pay any tax if I dont remit any income into UK. I generally pay family money to my parents who are US citizen and not UK resident. If my parents later give cash gift to me or my daughter in US and I remit such cash gift to UK (not mixed fund), then whether I need to report such cash gift in my UK self assessment? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:04:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the income generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. 

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 09:32:38 GMT by Natasha Temnikova Temnikova
I am a British resident but Ukrainian by nationality. my family lived in Ukraine. At the critical moment, my mom and dad died and I have not visited Ukraine since 2014, since the war started there and my city was captured by the Russian army. my dad got sick in 2010 and had to sell his house and business, he sold it for cash and since the war started he didn't put it in the bank. All this time, my family and my friends send me this money a little bit by private delivery company and if someone goes to Ukraine , we agree on a certain commission, and I put it in the bank. Unfortunately, it is impossible to arrange a transfer because are no banks there and I cannot fly because it is dangerous for my life. Do I need to declare this money? I only can prove that they residents of Ukraine an me and my husband are Ukrainian residents and still have family there.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.