Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:53:54 GMT by
Hi, Could you please provide below information with regards to the investment in foreign mutual funds: 1. Through ISA Can I invest in foreign funds (reporting & non-reporting) via ISA stocks & shares? There is some confusion because the last paragraph in this link seems to suggest that i can, yet the advice that i have received is that only reporting funds are allowed via ISA. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offshore-funds-self-assessment-helpsheet-hs265/hs265-offshore-funds 2. Direct (Not through ISA) If i were to invest directly in the foreign funds through foreign local bank acccount by transferring funds from here and say after 5 years i dispose these off after making some profit. Any CGT on these will it be due straight away after the disposal or only when the funds are transferred back to U.K (which might be after additional 1-2 years) ? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:48:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Please refer to the following link:
Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:32:59 GMT by
Hi, It appears that you haven't read the questions properly else you would have realised that they are more about investing in offshore mutual funds than ISA. It is quite obvious that i would have already done the basics of going through ISA pages before asking the specific questions here. It would be great if you could provide clear answers to my 2 specific question as i could not find them on the HMRC website. Thank you. Thanks,
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:33:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You can hold foreign stocks and shares in a share ISA, as long as they are listed on a recognised stock exchange.  
There is a list of investments that ISAs may purchase at:
Stocks and Shares investments for ISA managers.
Capital gains tax arising from the disposal of foreign assets, woud be payable in the tax year that the gain arises, even if you do not remit the gain to the UK, as income tax and capital gains tax are charged on the 'arising' basis.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.