Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 04 Jan 2023 05:59:58 GMT by Harriet
I have lived and worked full-time outside of the UK in Japan since 2016. According to HMRC’s guidelines I am currently considered “non-resident”. I recently married my partner here in Japan. When I received my Affirmation from the British Embassy, I was told there is no need to register my marriage in the UK (as the UK recognises marriages under Japanese law as being legal in the UK). However, I am unsure if I still need to notify HMRC of my marriage if it took place outside of the UK while I am classed as non-resident? Many thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 16:03:13 GMT by
Hi Harriet, 

You are not required to notify HMRC.

However, you can update your records to ensure that they are correct and up to date.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.