Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:21:48 GMT by
Hi, I'm a homemaker and have no income in the tax year 2022-23 in UK but received interest from local bank as well as foreign income from interest. May I confirm if: Q1. Does the personal income tax allowance (GBP12,570) covers foreign income such as foreign interest? Q2. Do I have to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return (SA100) on interest received from local banks no matter of the amount (i.e. even a few hundred pounds)? If yes, do I have to fill in SA106 as well for any foreign interest received? Q3(a): Do I have to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return (SA106, FN6) on such foreign interest at around GBP700? 3(b): Do I have to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return (SA106, FN6) on such foreign interest over GBP5000? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 14:52:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi corcor, 

Being in receipt of foreign income is criteria for completing a Self Assessment Tax return each year, regardless of how much the income is,
using the official exchange rates and included on the tax return
Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format
Foreign bank interest converted to pounds sterling, is added to UK interest and the savings allowance applied in the tax calculation.
Tax on savings interest  
You can register for Self Assessment at
Register for Self Assessment
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.