Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 12:00:33 GMT by Nick1957
When I was dealing with PD1, they included details of stock dividends from a foreign company on the PA302. The income was shown as Investment Income, and the Foreign Withholding Tax Paid (FWTP) was shown initially as ‘Less non-repayable tax’ and then later under the ‘Adjustment’ heading. Effectively the FWTP was being set against my dividend income tax liability, thereby reducing my overall tax liability. I am now preparing to submit my tax returns through the SA system, and was surprised when I came across the response to the question in: Where in the self assessment tax return should I declare foreign stock dividends? When you said “Foreign stock/script dividends do not get reported for tax purposes. You do not need to enter these on a return.” The company for which I have received foreign dividend income is Greencore plc, based in the Republic of Ireland. Will you please confirm the correct tax treatment for this income, and whether I can include such income within the ‘Other taxable income’ (box 17) field, along with REIT income, with the FWTP in box 19. Obviously I want to keep my tax liability as low as possible, but I also want to pay the correct amount.
Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 12:13:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

We can confirm that you are not required to enter details of foreign stock dividends on your tax returns.

Please refer to the SA106 notes (page FN 7)  for further information.                              

Foreign notes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.