Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 06 Mar 2022 16:31:59 GMT by Zabe Regala
Good afternoon, I want to inform HMRC that I am permanently (probably at least 2 years) moving abroad. I have researched on the HMRC website and found this info: “Fill in form P85 and send it to HMRC. Include Parts 2 and 3 of your P45 form - get these from your employer (or Jobcentre Plus if you’ve been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance). Send a Self Assessment tax return instead if you usually complete one, for example if you’re self-employed. Send a P85 and a tax return if you’re going to be working full-time for a UK-based employer for at least one full tax year. Sending your tax return You cannot use HMRC’s online services to tell them you’re leaving the UK. Instead, you need to: * send your tax return by post * use commercial software * get help from a professional, such as an accountant” Do I understand correctly that, because I submit self assessment tax returns (an accountant submits for me), I should use the next self assessment submission in April to inform HMRC of my departure date from the U.K.? What if the date I leave the U.K. is prior to April? Is it still ok to inform HMRC in April, after having left the country? Thank you
Posted Mon, 07 Mar 2022 12:44:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

Yes, if you already complete a tax return then you can let us know on this when you left the UK.

It is ok that this is after the end of the tax year in which you left. 


Posted Sat, 25 Jun 2022 02:18:22 GMT by Louis Hicks
Hello HMRC, I left the UK 11 years ago and at that time I didn't know and had nobody to advise me that I should inform the HMRC I was leaving. I have a question. What do I need to do? Can I file a P85 for the tax year I left? I am concerned now about the implications on not having declared I was leaving, even though I didn't make a conscious effort to not inform the HMRC. I was simply an unhappy and depressed kid who wanted to leave and also held a US passport, so decided to go. I am asking, because after 11 years I am planning to return to the UK. I had left permanently, but I no longer want to reside in the United States for my own safety and due to the health of some family back in the UK. I have a different perspective on life now and want to return. I am sure there are others in this situation who want to return to the UK. Thank you
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 11:10:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would not need to complete the P85 now.

You should contact us when you have returned to the UK to advise of the address we should use for any correspondence going forward:

Income Tax: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:26:53 GMT by Louis Hicks
@HMRC Admin 17 Thank you. I appreciate it, and knowing there are no implications helps with settling my mind on the move.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.