Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:07:45 GMT by JTL
Dear support / forumers, I have 2 buy-to-let properties in the UK and used to be a non-UK resident landlord that filed self-assessment tax return by post. My family and I have moved to reside in the UK since September 2022. I am now effectively a resident in the UK for tax year 2022/23, is there anything I need to do regarding the non-UK resident landlord status? For instance, the postal address in record is no longer valid. How can I update my former overseas address to current UK address? Note that I cannot perform the update with online service – Government Gateway – given the issues in matching my record when registering as a new user. Is there any limitation in who can use this online service? Where should I seek help? Furthermore, I started a new permanent job in January 2023. The tax is paid via PAYE with tax code 1257L. Do I continue to submit the self-assessment tax return? If so, how do I record and reconcile with my income from the permanent job? Should I do it by post or online service? I also believe I am likely benefited from marriage allowance given my wife does not have any income. What are the proper procedures to apply / claim the allowance given the aforementioned situation, if applicable? Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:08:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You can contact our non-resident landlord scheme helpline to advise them of the change.

Non-UK resident landlords

If you continue to receive the rental income you will continue to complete Self-Assessment.

You can check the Marriage Allowance criteria here.

Marriage Allowance

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:12:10 GMT by JTL
Should I complete self-assessment using paper form? I am not sure why I cannot create an online account. There were issues in matching my record when registering as a new user even everything was input correctly. Is there any limitation in who can use this online service? Where should I seek help?
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:15:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

A non resident landlord, needs to complete the residence section of a self assessment tax return, along with the income from property section.  

To do this, you need to purchase some 3rd party commercial software.  There is a list of commercial software suppliers here: Self Assessment commercial software suppliers.  

You choose your preferred supplier, complete their tax return which includes the residence sections and submit to HMRC.  

The alterative is to submit a paper tax return, along with the residence and property supplementary pages by 31 October every year.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.