Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 07:12:49 GMT by huggs212
Employee contract was terminated on 7th March. Employer and employee agreed that employee will receive two months full pay (March and April). Contract will end on 14th May. The employee's last full pay was on 29th April. So therefore the employee had already received two months full pay. Employee's P45 was processed dated 29th April. Should the employee's P45 been processed dated 14th May? If so, can the date be changed?
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 08:19:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

An employer decides what date the employee stops working for them (when they consider the employment to have ended).

If you have submitted the wrong leaving date on RTI submissions and P45 form you are not due to correct this as it may create a duplicate record for the employee. You should keep a supplementary paper record with the correct date if you put the wrong start or leaving date for an employee on their FPS and keep this for the required retention period in line with all payroll records.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:05:42 GMT by david blenkinsop
Hello, I have a query re the above response from HMRC Admin 19. I have recently been temporarily employed by an 'umbrella' company and through mutual agreement with them my employment was agreed to terminate Thursday 30th June and they have confirmed this in writing. So I believe this is my leaving date according to what Ive read here. However, their payroll section have insisted that I left on Sunday 3rd July because "that how their payroll system operates" - ie Monday to Sunday), and that is the date they insist on registering on the P45. Given the above difference - please advise what my leaving date really is.
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:37:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Your leaving day would be the last day of employment, however they employer may put this as the last date of payment.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Sep 2022 11:42:25 GMT by chriscal
Hello, I have another query on a similar situation. A lot of our staff are on zero hour contracts, and they often stay on our system for a while after they have worked their last shift, as we usually don't know when this will be. Recently, we have sent a former worker a P45 and they have asked for the leaving date to be their last day worked, rather than the period the P45 was issued. Should we change the leaving date on the P45 to reflect this or should we keep it as it is? I would presume that the leaving date would not affect any other employment, an FPS was sent each period to show that they hadn't earned anything. Thanks
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 12:14:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi chriscal,

No, you would not issue a further P45 or an amended P45.
If no further payments were made to the employee then no further action is required.
Guidance can be found in: CWG" Booklet paragraph 1.14

 1.14 Standard payments made when, or after, an employee leaves

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 12:03:40 GMT by ssabri
Hi, I recently received my P45 from my previous employer, and I noticed an error in the leaving year. The correct date should be 24-04-2023, but on the P45, it is mentioned as 24-04-2026. I have contacted my previous employer regarding this issue, and they informed me that the payroll department had submitted the correct dates. They also mentioned that it may not be possible to change the incorrect information on HMRC's side due to the potential duplication that could occur. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with advice on how to proceed in this situation.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 09:30:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If you contact our Income Tax helpline we may be able to correct this.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 24 Jun 2023 05:20:39 GMT by Jenny Chalmers
Hi. My employment end date on p45 is correct however they did not include the additional overtime holiday pay I received after my employment ended. How do I get this corrected I paid emergency tax on it?
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:28:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jenny Chalmers,

If you have started a new job, you will need to contact our Income Tax department so that we can issue a tax code to your new employer which includes all of the income.
If there is a refund due this would be given when the new tax code is used.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:03:56 GMT by Xircons-linty 0i
My employer has submitted a P45 with an incorrect end date. They have submitted an end date in March but it was actually in April. This is causing me issues because I can’t claim my tax overpayment back because HMRC think it’s last years income and not this years income. How can this be rectified?
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:07:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Xircons-linty 0i,
If you contact our Income Tax helpline, and we can see that you received a payment during the current tax year, we will be able to update this. Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.