Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Oct 2022 21:04:32 GMT by mancplau
Hi, I am new to UK, entered UK at the last year. I never did self-assessment and never paying tax in the UK before. I also have no government gateway account because the system cannot verify my identity. At the 3-Oct, I called HMRC by dialing 0300 200 3310. I asked about the issue of self-assessment, and your staff told me that your department will send a letter to me within 3 weeks. He told me that there will be some forms and instructions with the letter. At a later time, I asked a tax advisor. The tax advisor told me that I don't need to file tax. For the letter sending to me, the tax advisor also said that I should inform HMRC about this matter. As 3 weeks passed, I have not yet receive any letter from your department, I called HMRC by dialing the same phone number yesterday. Although I have gave my National insurance number to your staff, your staff has no idea of what letter is being sent to me. I also don't know what is the letter about. So, as the tax advisor told me that I don't need to file tax, I would like to ask: 1 Should I simply call your department again and tell your staff about that I don't need to file tax? 2 As your staff don't know what letter is being sent to me, and I have not yet receive that, can I simply ignore the letter issue?
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:35:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

As you have not provided any information about your overall tax/income circumstances, it is not clear whether or not you have to register for Self Assessment.

To find out, please use the 'Self Assessment Criteria' tool: 

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return   .

If the tool indicates that you do have to register for Self Assessment, and you are unable to do so online, you can register by post.

If you still require additional assistance, please call us again on 0300 200 3310 and we will be happy to help.                                                             

See link:

Register for Self Assessment     .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:26:40 GMT by mancplau
Hi, For my income circumstances, I could provide the information here. Actually we have two people. My mother, retired, not employed and not self-employed. She got GBP 258 saving interest, and approximately GBP 1410 in foreign currencies for saving interest, bond interest and share dividends. Totally 1668 as calculated for the conversion into GBP. The second person is me, unemployed, and not self-employed. I got GBP 168.55 saving interest, and approximately GBP 13 in foreign currencies for saving interest. Totally 181.55 as calculated for the conversion into GBP. With these information above, could you please tell me are we have to register for Self Assessment?
Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 14:44:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Foreign income is criteria for Self Assessment.  

There is a tool which can be used to determine if you meet the criteria for completing a Self Assessment tax return. If you do, it also helps you register for Self Assessment.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.