Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:09:55 GMT by hmrcquestions
I left the UK in February 2020 and am claiming split year case 1, full time work overseas (form SA109). Please could you confirm: - If I received a dividend payment from a UK company paid in the overseas part of the year (when I was full time work abroad), do I need to declare this as income on my SA100? - Similarly, if I received an annual interest payment from a UK savings account paid in the overseas part of the year, do I need to declare this as income on my SA100?
Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:21:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi hmrcquestions,

If you are claiming split year then you would only need to declare income accrued in the UK part of the year. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:36:44 GMT by hmrcquestions
Thank you, please could you direct me to the guidance that shows this? SAIM1170 seems to suggest the opposite. It says: - A non-UK resident person is taxable on savings and investment income taxable under Part 4 ITTOIA05; and - ITA07/S811 limits that tax liability with regards to disregarded income (savings and investments); but - the rule in ITA07/S811 only applies when an individual has been non-resident for the entire tax year. It does not apply, therefore, in the overseas part of a split year. This would suggest that you do need to declare income accrued in the non-UK part of the year? https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim1170
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:52:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

Apologies, please see additional guidance here which indicates you will be charged to tax as a non resident for the non UK part of the year.

Residence: The SRT: What is a split year

However disregarded income only covers those classed as non resident for the year.

Non-residents and investment income

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.