Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Jul 2021 22:06:55 GMT by CCHK
Hi, I would like to ask a few questions about working in the UK. 1. My understanding is that BNO visa holders will not get a BRP because they can prove their immigration status digitally. But do they need to apply for a National Insurance number in order to work in the UK? I saw from the Home Office website that "you do not need to apply if you.... have a biometric residence permit which has a National Insurance number printed on it". What about BNO visa holders who don't have a physical BRP? 2. When can BNO visa holders start working for a UK employer? Is it from the day we were granted the visa, or from the day we enter the UK? Can we take up online work before we enter the UK (i.e. working for a UK employer but doing the work in Hong Kong)? Thank you in advance for your help with answering these questions.
Posted Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:35:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes you can work for a UK employer on line from abroard without a national insurance number.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 05:09:46 GMT by John Baptist
Hi HRMC Admin, I got an email to tell that I am granted permission to enter and stay in the UK under the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) route from 7 Jul 2021 until 7 Jul 2026, but in my application I mentioned to start at 1 Dec 2021. Hence I planned to visit to the UK in Dec 2021, not earlier. Would it affect my stay in the UK for 5 years in order to apply for settlement and citizenship? Regards, John Baptist
Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:16:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 29 Jul 2021 11:29:09 GMT by John Baptist
Excuse me, are you saying that the following forum only addresses questions about uk tax? Then I should ask my question in “UK Visas and Immigration” forum, am I correct? Home > Forums > Customer Forums > Taking on Employees > BNO visa
Posted Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:26:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

The Community Forums are resourced by HMRC and we can only answer questions appropriate to HMRC.

If you have a question for UK Visas and Immigration. You need to contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:21:35 GMT by Jim1024
May I have the link to reach UK Visas and Immigration for asking question ? I cannot find their contact means.
Posted Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:57:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hello,
Please note this customer forum does not answer questions in relation to visas and immigration.
UK Visas and Immigration 
Thankyou
Posted Sun, 05 Jun 2022 15:42:43 GMT by Iloveuk
Hi HMRC Admin All my family members and I will go to the UK this Aug to send my child aged less than 18 to an independent boarding school using BNO visa. My child is my dependent in the BNO visa application. We will stay here in hotels for less than one month and return to Hong Kong. Only my child will stay in the UK boarding school. I would like to know 1) if my spouse and I will be taxed on our income earned in Hong Kong as we will enter the UK using BNO visa in this August and will return to Hong Kong in early September. 2) if capital gains tax will be charged on us if we later sell our apartment in Hong Kong, for instance 1 year after we came back from the UK. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 10:16:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Welcome Pack for arrivals from Hong Kong on the British Nationals (Overseas) visa

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:51:08 GMT by CCHK
Hi, I'd like to ask whether BNO visa holders need to apply for a National Insurance number in order to work in the UK? It seems that we don't have to because we can prove our immigration status digitally using the online service provided by the Home Office. However, the Home Office website states that "you do not need to apply [for a National Insurance number] if you.... have a biometric residence permit which has a National Insurance number printed on it". I don't currently have a BRP. Do I need to get a National Insurance number and/or a physical BRP after arriving in the UK?
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 10:56:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi 

You would need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions as they deal with National Insurance number registrations:

Apply for a National Insurance number

Thank you,

Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 01:57:40 GMT by CCHK
Thank you for the info. When getting the BNO visa, we're told that we need to notify the Home Office of our home address changes. If BNO visa holders stay at different hotels, airbnb, etc. at the beginning of their move to the UK, do they need to let the Home Office know about these temporary addresses? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 08:51:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Please contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Contact UK Visas and Immigration for help

​​​​​​​Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:54:49 GMT by M Joster
Do I need to report those foreign incomes in the overseas part of my split-year treatment (i.e., before I became UK tax resident) in the self-assessment tax return (SA100) or on other supplementary pages like SA 102 or 106? Thank you. Mars J.
Posted Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:23:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Where split year treatment applies, the the foreign income arising in the period before coming to the UK, is not taxble in the UK and should not be included on the tax return.  

All income arising after coming to the UK is taxable in the UK and should be shown on the tax return, UK employment on SA102 and foreign income on SA106 supplementary pages. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 13:50:09 GMT by Ka Hei Wong
Hi,I would like to ask something about the BNO visa. I'm now inside the UK as a dependent of a BNO visa holder, we choose to apply it in a two 2.5years way, and my wife who I married in Hong Kong are coming to the UK via a working holiday visa, and will be living with me for 2 years.So I'm wondering if I could apply her as my spouse after the first 2.5 years when I need to apply for another 2.5 years? Thanks
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 14:28:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 29 Oct 2022 14:05:14 GMT by Winters
Hi, I am a director of Hong Kong company limited by shares , Which form should I filled. If, 1. I do not receive director fee and dividend. 2.I do not receive director fee ,but receive dividend. 3.I receive director fee and dividend Thank you
Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 15:28:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Winters
If you are resident in the UK for tax purposes and in receipt of foreign income, then this criteria for self assessment.
Along with the SA100, you would need to complete SA106.
If there is no foreign income, then you may not need to complete a self assessment tax return.
There is a self assessment criteria tool at :
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
This will let you know if you need to submit a tax return.
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.