Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 16:08:01 GMT by
Hello, I am currently receiving my income through an Income protection claim. With this claim I was told by Aviva that they have to pay a "basic rate tax to HMRC" and that it will be taken off of my pay each month whether I'm earning enough to pay tax or not. They said that they pay each claimants tax in bulk to HMRC, rather than reporting it per individual case. Then at the end of the tax year they send everyone a "Certificate of Tax Deduction" which they have told me to send to HMRC to then claim my tax rebate. As a result, on my government portal account it says I have not paid any tax and so am not due a rebate. So I sent the Certificate of Tax Deduction to HMRC in the post with a letter explaining the situation and detailing my income for the year and they echoed the government portal in saying that on their records I hadn't directly paid taxes so I'd need to fill out a different form in order to get my rebate. However, the form that they linked me to is for tax paid on "investment income" or "PPI" and my issue with with Income protection, which is neither of those things. Hopefully someone is able to clear this up for me. I have the Certificate of Tax Deduction that lays out all income and tax paid throughout the year, I've been told to send it to HMRC for a rebate which I have done with no luck, seemingly due to needing a certain form to send along with it. I have failed to find almost any information on Income Protection claims and how their tax payment is paid, other than that they are not supposed to be taxed Thanks in advance for any guidance given
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:51:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Mike,
We would need to access your record to review the claim you submitted.
You can contact HMRC at:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.