Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:03:39 GMT by Bbern
I tried to claim a repayment for overpaid tax because of CIS today and was asked to prove my identity by way of answering questions in relation to my credit report. I answered the questions by using my credit report with CreditKarma, which uses the same reporting agency as the HMRC website uses to find out this information. Obviously, the information I provided was 100% correct, yet the website constantly told me that the information was incorrect and eventually locked me out of my account. I have spent 4 hours on the phone to HMRC today being transferred from department to department and everyone seems to think it isn't their job to sort it out. What is the department and phone number that I need to call to have my overpayment manually refunded to me, because evidently the website isn't going to work and I foresee this being a larger issue. Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:15:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Bbern,

If the tax was deducted as a Subcontractor, and you have submitted your Self Assessment return, the repayment can be issued by our Self Assessment department.
The contact details are here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 09 Apr 2022 22:11:15 GMT by Camelia
Hi, I have the same issue. I have submitted the tax return and I tried to request a repayment. I don't understand. Did you change the form? Before I was able to add my bank details and I received the overpayment automatically. When I tried to request the repayment is asking me to prove my identity by choosing 2 ways. I don't have a UK passport or Netherland Ireland driving license and I can't prove my identity. How can I solve this problem??
Posted Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:35:49 GMT by Carlos Santi
Hello . has been working in England as a subcontractor for several years. I have submitted a tax return and I would like to collect an overpaid. after entering the link claim tax refund I have to verify my identity: uk passport, credit Check reference question and Northen Irleand driving license. I will certainly pass the credit reference. I do not have a passport and a northen driving license. . I have never had a problem with verifications before, why is there no uk driving license verification option. Who would I have to contact to undergo verification in a different way, is it possible?
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:02:59 GMT by LOKY90
is verry simple you have to call them and they make repayment for me was like 5 minutes now i have to wait 10 days to have the money in account
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 08:36:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Community Forum advisers are unable to access individual customer records, so to find out exactly what is causing the delay in issuing your repayment, 
please phone our Self Assessment  helpline on 0300 200 3310.       

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 10:56:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There has been a change to the verification process, and if you haven't completed it since the update we require you to complete this
before requesting a repayment. if you are unable to verify with the questions being asked, you can contact our Self Assessment department.

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:58:14 GMT by Amidu Alejolowo
Hi I am having issue with identity check on my personal tax account as i intend to claim the tax refund payment on my account. I chose to use the information on my payslip (PAYE tax amount and NI amount) and also my credit file information, as I don't have a UK passport or Northern Ireland driver licence, but the system continues to come back as my details doesn't match their record and locking me out after 4 tries, whereas I know the inserted details are 100% correct because I have my credit file and payslip information opened while I answer these questions. This newly built system is faulty, someone needs to relay all these complain on this forum to the right department. I need the funds on my tax account in my bank account, kindly advice what to do. Kind Regards 
Posted Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:06:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Amidu Alejolowo,
If you are unable to pass the verification questions to claim the repayment, you will need to contact our Income Tax Department :

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:12:05 GMT by Lokopd Plovdiv
Why when I complete my self assessment the system doesn't want me to put bank account for a repayment. Thanks
Posted Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:28:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Lokopd Plovdiv

Once the return has been submitted, you will need to login after 72 hours to complete additional security in order to request the repayment.


Posted Fri, 17 Jun 2022 23:03:04 GMT by leoleo
hi can please someone sort a problem that i have , i have close the tax return for this year never had problems before , i have received a paper that they requires me to confirm identity, even the same on my online government account . If someone has experienced this problem can u tell me how u fixed it , do i need to call them and what to say to them to sort it out from the phone or to make a repayment,hopefully someone will respond to this it’s really important , thanks .
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:57:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unable to verify online to claim the repayment, you will need to contact our Self Assessment helpline :

Self Assessment: general enquiries     .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:12:20 GMT by rcbservices
Hi, can an agent call the help line and ask for repayment for the customer?
Posted Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:32:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes, an agent who is authorised on our records for the taxpayer can request the repayment be issued.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.