Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 15:07:34 GMT by Raymond Yiu
Hello! My aunt and I own a property in the UK as joint tenants, but she receives the rental income in its entirety. Since she lives in Hong Kong, I manage the property on her behalf, and transfer the rental income to her. Do we declare the rental income as 50/50 split as we are joint tenants, or does she declare the entirety of the income? Thank you! Best wishes
Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:51:40 GMT by Raymond Yiu
Can someone from HMRC please help?
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 13:46:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Thank you for your question.

Where you own a property jointly with another person ( your Aunt) and the property is let out, your share of the rental profits or losses
will usually be based on the share of the property you own - unless you agree a different allocation :

Examples of how to work out Income Tax when you rent out a property   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.