Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 17:11:21 GMT by asmith82
My gross income for 2022/23 was going to be 110,000£ before I made a SIPP contribution. I then made such contribution before the end of the fiscal year, so that my gross income will drop below 100k£, let's say to 95k£. Am I obliged to file for Self Assessment, especially to recover the higher-rate tax relief (in fact I need to get even more, since I was in the 100-125k£ tax trap bracket)? Or can I just send a letter stating that I did such SIPP contribution and get a payment (which is what I used to do when I had a lower income)?
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:43:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You still need a tax return as the actual income earned is over £100k.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.