Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 13:21:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Yes, that is correct. It would be your salary plus taxable benfits in kind so in this cae over £50K. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 11:39:42 GMT by
Hi, I also was NOT aware of the HICBC until I got a letter from the post. My wife claimed child benefit, but as I earned more than here I have to pay the charge. I already submitted a self assessment for tax year 2022/2023 and paid the amount owed. As for the previous tax period, 2021/2022, I am also above the threshold. Am I liable to pay the charge for the 2021/2022 period since the self assessment due date had already gone past?
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 09:25:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi leaon,
Yes you will need to declare this for 21/22.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 20:32:48 GMT by
Hi team, I have opted out and have stopped receiving child benefit on 10 October 2022, this is when my last payment was. 2022-2023, I have earned around £62k. In February 2023 I have become self employed and have my own limited company. I have submitted the self assessment form but I have received an email from HMRC to say the information I have provided is not sufficient. I am very confused as I didn’t realise I would have to do this as I’ve stopped receiving payments in October 2022.
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:09:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi desi.savkova,
If your child benefit payments stopped 10 October 2022 as this is still in the 2022/23 tax year you would need to declare the details from 6 April 2022 up to 10 October 2022 on the tax return. 
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:55:04 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin, Just a follow up to my query earlier Re self assessment/paying for the previous tax years. Under the "Tax Return Options" the "Select tax year:" drop down only shows tax period 2022/2023. I have tried to re-register for self assessment to include the previous tax years, but the e-mail I got a few days ago states they are Unable to process my request as I already have a live Self Assessment with UTR. Is there a way for the previous tax period from 2020 be available to me?
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:45:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Noel M.

You would need to register for the previous tax years to open up the options online to file.
If not self employment this would be by submitting a SA1 Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed
If you are unable to do this online then you can contact the Self Assessment helpline to review Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 21:13:25 GMT by
Hi HMRC team, We may need to pay the HIBC charge for 2022/23, we recently received a letter and weren't aware of this at all until recently. One question- does it matter who does the self assessment, can it be either the wife (who received the child benefit) or the husband (who earned £60k)? Should it be who the letter was addressed to? Or doesn't it matter as long as 1 of us does it, and then makes any necessary payment. Thanks
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:39:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
It is the person with the higher income that completes the tax return and declares the child benefit received.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:53:29 GMT by
Hi, I have completed a HiCBC self assessment since 2021 and until this year my tax code has been 1119L. This year is had dropped to 981l and now it’s dropped again to 198LX. The only other taxable benefit I have is medical which is what I assume the difference between my 1119L code and the standard 1257L. What I don’t understand is why HMRC are now saying I’m going to need to pay an extra £550 before April for a previous tax year and another £750 for this tax year. This only gives 3 pay months to pay it back
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 00:26:13 GMT by
Watch out for the box that adds this year back into your existing tax code. I didnt put an X in the box for HICBC for 23-24, which is now added into my 23-24 tax code. As such my tax code has been adjusted to take £1800 extra tax between Jan-Mar. Also stopped the CB so we are down at least £800 every month until April. Going to be a tough 3 months.
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:00:13 GMT by Kayleigh Parkinson
Hi, my partner earns £52k a year. My first child benefit payment is this week. Can I register him for tax return on his behalf and how do o find out how much of the benefit we need to pay back yearly? Or can his tax code be changed to take this into account?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:04:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Steve Dowie,
We would need to access your record to review the change in your code.
It could be that your code has been amended to include the HICBC going forward.
If you contact HMRC we can review this for you  Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:35:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi dr-rath,
If your HICBC has been included in your tax code but you want to pay the charge through your Self Assessment you can contact HMRC to review/update your tax code
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 13:33:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Your partner can register for Self Assessment here:
Check how to register for Self Assessment.
While he will still have to file a return, he can opt to pay the amount due through his code.
Your partner can contact us via:
Income Tax: general enquiries to calculate the amount due, and update his code.
Alternatively, our Child Benefit department can give more advice on the amount due:
Child Benefit: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.