Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 09:19:57 GMT by TodorPenchev
Hello, I am currently working for a UK based company in London but I need to go back to my country (Bulgaria, which is in the EU) for a short period of time. My question is, how many days am I allowed to work from abroad freely without being liable to pay tax in that country - meaning I will still continue receiving my UK salary and pay tax and NI in the UK? Is there any general rule? Some places say you can take up to 183 days, others up to 90 days before you are obliged to pay tax in that country. Many thanks, T
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 17:22:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TodorPenchev,
It can depend on that countries tax laws.
For the UK, you need to be resident for 183 days to be tax resident.  
You will need to contact th Bulgarian tax authorities for clarification at their end.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.