Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 Mar 2023 16:49:41 GMT by Kathryn Parry
My brother is looking to return to the UK after 30 years of living in Canada. He doesn't know what his national insurance number was and it is needed for moving forward with anything. I am going round and round in circles trying to figure out how you find out what it was. All i get directed is the personal tax account which he clearly doesn't have. Please help clarify how we find out what his N.I. number was or would he need to apply for another?
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:29:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Your brother will not need to apply for another National Insurance number if he had already been allocated a number before he left the UK.

To find out his National Insurance number he has two options. He can either speak to an advisor at HMRC, and if he passes our security checks, and his National Insurance number can be traced it will then be sent to him via post. He must ring HMRC himself.

The contact number for calls from abroad is, +44 191 203 7010 and for calls from the UK it is 0300 200 3500.

Alternatively, he can complete form CA5403 which can be found here: 

Get your National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.