Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 13:42:17 GMT by Sam Page
Hi, I believe I paid £136 in tax when I shouldn't have as it was paid late by previous employer & thus went into the following years tax threshold, 2 months after I had left their employment. I only earnt less than 10k in the year 2020/2021 when the payment should have been made to me so I wouldn't have paid any tax on it if they had paid me on time. I contacted HMRC in May 2021 who said I had to wait til 2021/22 tax had been calculated. This I did (waited patiently for over a year!) but it just said I had paid correct tax. I then sent messages to HMRC on my personal tax account saying it was wrong but have heard nothing back so now I am here. Basically I handed in my notice with my previous employer in January 2021. HR there confirmed they would pay annual leave hours owing from my employment prior to leaving as it was impossible for me to take the leave but, by the time my last day came a month later, due to Covid & the ineptitude of my supervisors, it still hadn't been authorised correctly. On my last day in February 2021 I left a message with the duty manager on the understanding he was going to sort it. He didn't & thus it wasn't paid in my final March pay so I then had to phone their HR to get it sorted for me. A few emails back & forth & they said they'd get it paid, which they did, but the payroll put it through in April 2021, the next tax year & thus it was taxed as in my new job I was earning slightly over the tax threshold whereas, f it had been paid in the correct year, I would not have had to pay tax. Is there something the previous employer can submit to HMRC to say that they had made the payment incorrectly in order for the tax to be repaid back to me? It feels so unfair that due to my bosses ineptitude & delays that because of their error I was out of pocket & have waited so long to sort this because of misadvice by HMRC helpline when I phoned last year to query it! I don't know where to go, is it down to the previous employer to sort? Thanks for any advice.
Posted Wed, 23 Nov 2022 14:09:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We would require a letter from the employer confirming the amount, and the tax year that the payment should have been made in.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.