Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 21:07:59 GMT by Marek
Hello, GOV.UK verify service was recently removed and as a foreigner with right to work I can no longer access any HMRC services online. Government Gateway requires UK passport which I do not and cannot hold as a foreign national. It has became a standard in other countries to have a full access to government services - even when you have different nationality. Why HMRC removed the only possible way for us to access services and are there any plans to let us verify and set up Government Gateway account? I want to remind that there are millions of foreign nationals who contribute to this country, by removing verify I feel nothing else but discriminated, it is unacceptable that in the 21st century the only way I can communicate with HMRC is by post. Thank you, Marek J
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:17:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

I can't comment on the policy decision to remove verify. The verification process for Government Gateway will be updated in July.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:18:52 GMT by Aaron Cater
What will the updates consist of in July? Will we finally be able to use a English licence?
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:36:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

We are unable to confirm ahead of time what the changes will be.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 12:17:20 GMT by Alicja Matejkowska
Are the changes to the login method already available? If not, when exactly will it happen? Thank you
Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:35:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
The updates are not in place.
We have not been provided with a date when these will be implemented.
Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:28:18 GMT by Aaron Cater
The updates are in place now!! From today, you can use a driving licence issued by the DVLA in England, Scotland or Wales to verify your identity instead of just the NI licence option. as well as another option, for example a UK passport. I can also confirm you are able to use a provisional or full driving licence. Hope this helps.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.