Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Nov 2021 09:11:42 GMT by dharavyas.chandra
I had submitted my return on 19th May 2021 for the AY pertaining to 2020-21. I did not get the refund still. In the month of June 2021 when i connected with HMRC through web chat they said A repayment can take 10 working days from the date of issue if made by BACS payment Some repayments are selected for security checks If selected we aim to complete these checks within 6 weeks. Since then they said After one week i connected with the web chat. The following reply was given can see that we have just sent a letter out to you which you should receive within the next 3-4weeks you will need to respond to this in full in order for us to process your repayment. This letter never reached me. The letter was reissued on 16 August to my known address UK and the letter which sent to me by by friend which was reached me with in one week. I had replied back the letter on. Again i connect with the HMRC web chat i got the following reply OK. I can see your repayment is under going additional checks and as part of those checks a letter was issued to you which you have kindly replied to. We received your reply on the 14September 2021 and it is in there payment security team mail queue waiting to be reviewed. Currently there payment security team have a backlog of cases totally 12 weeks ;based on when we received your reply the repayment security team should get in contact with you by the end of 7December 2021 Still i am in puzzle weather my case will be dealt on the given dead line and refund will be processed? It is almost all 8 months waiting time for the refund. Please guide how this issue can be closed?

[Email address removed - Admin]
Posted Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:26:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

When you contact us regarding timescales for refunds, our advisers are able to view estimated timescales for when the checks should be complete.

Unfortunately these dates can change which means when you call back close to the date we may have a new estimated date for when the checks would be completed.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Sat, 13 Nov 2021 07:22:15 GMT by dharavyas.chandra
This is means again this date can be extended? In that case i can't expect the refund earlier down the line? I am confused and puzzled. Can give more clarification and weather this refund will happen if so what will be the dead line?
Posted Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:53:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

When you query a refund we give an estimated date, unfortunately this date can be moved.

It can be earlier than these dates however the date we give is only an estimate.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:55:35 GMT by Abhay Gupta
hi, I've submitted my self assessment for AY 2020-21 today online but couldn't find an option to add the bank details to receive the overpaid tax refund, I remember when i sent the self assessment last year, I was able to add the bank details. Has something changed from this year? How can I apply for tax refund online?
Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 18:20:41 GMT by Markruss
I am having the same problem in being told dates of possible payment, I understand covid, brexit and furlough has really hindered hmrc staff, I have done the I.D verification and it's been accepted. Was just wondering if payments are being done soon or is there still some delay? I only did my return in November
Posted Wed, 05 Jan 2022 09:54:09 GMT by Sue Bagley
I submitted my self assessment on time last year and was due £5000 refund. One year on and I am still waiting. HMRC sent me some forms to obtain more information about 8months ago but I have never herd anything back. My account still shows the I am owed £5000. I waited on the phone for over an hour to speak to someone but no luck. My next tax return is due again now and I still haven't had a refund from last years. I'm sure if I send it late I will hear from them quickly.....
Posted Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:03:12 GMT by Sue Bagley
Just spent another 40 mins on hold and spoke to an agent. I am now unable to log into my online account at all and have heard nothing for months from HMRC. Agent said 'my case had been referred' and she was unable to give any information or answer any questions, nor put me through to anyone who can. Does this mean I am being investigated and if so, why, and how to I get more information about this?
Posted Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:28:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Abhay Gupta,

When completing the return there is a section which asks about overpaid tax, you need to select that the refund should be paid to you and
then the form will ask for bank details.

It will take up to 72 hours for the position to be updated on the system.

After that you can request a repayment any refund due would show as a credit on the account.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:42:44 GMT by dharavyas.chandra
I am following with the team since May 2021 regarding my refund and team keep on changing the dates . There was tax over paid of £2500 odd as per the claim made by me and was acknowledge by your team on the month of May 2021. When i connected again they are telling they was no amount of overpaid tax as per new calculation. How can that there be change in the calculation. Something strange regarding this. I would like to appeal for the same. Please guide me what is process of the same.
Posted Wed, 05 Jan 2022 16:26:44 GMT by Abhay Gupta
hi, in the self assessment form - overpaid tax section, it asks for any tax overpaid in the previous year and not for the year you are completing the self assessment as you only come to know that once you see the final calculation. I've submitted my self assessment for 2020-21 yesterday, will i be able to request for refund after 72 hours in the self assessment portal online? will that ask me to enter my bank account details then? Thanks
Posted Thu, 06 Jan 2022 13:39:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Markruss,

If you have been told that your verification has been accepted it usually passes to another team to release the repayment.

If you contact our Self Assessment department we can confirm the position:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jan 2022 16:23:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Sue Bagley,

If we are looking for further information this will be requested in writing.

If we have sent a referral this would be forwarded to the relevant team asking if they could provide you with an update.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 07 Jan 2022 16:28:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi dharavyas.chandra

If a calculation has been changed you can request a copy of the calculation and query why it has changed.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jan 2022 17:36:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Abhay Gupta

You will be able to request a repayment from the account once the return is processed and it will show a credit on your account, it will ask for your bank details when you request the repayment.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:04:09 GMT by Markruss
Hi as I said before I was asked for I.d to verify my account which was accepted. The return has been looked at and the figure slightly adjusted by hmrc staff, nothing major but I have had to request payment again is that normal? And my payment has been broken down it has 12/1/2022 on abit of interest owed to me from previous return but still says pending does that mean it gets paid by the 12/01/2022? Never seen a date given before while still pending. Thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:57:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If figures are adjusted this would create a new repayment, without looking at your
Self Assessment Statement I can't be certain.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 20:38:41 GMT by Mun Poh Arthur
I just received an email from HMRC saying that I am entitled to a repayment for the 2020-21 financial year. I remember in Nov 2021 when I was doing the self assessment, I was asked if I wished to receive the repayment via bank transfer which I said yes. I logged into the Gateway to request for repayment. I was asked to provide a P60 or payslip and a recent self assessment payment made to HMRC. My first recent self assessment payment made to HMRC was on 9 Feb 2021. So, I provided the info. The P60 document/ payslip has to be after Nov 2021. Which I submitted. My ID checks were rejected and I was told I only had four attempts to verify my ID. Please can I speak to a human/ personnel instead of using the online tool which me more anxious.
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:36:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The checks can only be done online, you can speak to one of our advisers but we won't be able to do any checks manually :

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:38:45 GMT by Mun Poh Arthur
Thank you for your reply. I also provided my bank details so that the tax repayment could be transferred into my bank account during the self assessment in Nov 2021. I only received the email about my Annual Tax Summary from HMRC on 21 Feb 2022. Does it mean that I have to wait for 4 weeks for the refund to be sent to my bank account following the email receipt on 21 Feb 2022? If that was the case, would my previous attempt to confirm my IDs affect the bank transfer? I hope not! This has caused a lot of distress as I find the whole online/ digital activities very uncomfortable.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.