Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:20:40 GMT by cwyu
Dear HMRC, I am an oversea landlord. I would like to register for self assessment, but I cannot register it online because I don't have valid post code or National Insurance Number. Also, I started to receive rental income by June 2021, I need to send my first self assessment before 31 Oct 2022, right? Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:18:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

If you are having trouble filing online then you can look at filing the NRL1 form instead. This will also generate a UTR for self assessment. You can complete this and post to us. See link below:

Non-resident landlord: application to have UK rental income without deduction of UK tax - individuals (NRL1)

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 23 Sep 2021 19:19:18 GMT by WC
I have also the same situation and I have already applied the UTR number as well as activated the account. However, I was still be prompted to input the NI number when logging in the HMRC APP software. Appreciate if you could advise how to handle?
Posted Fri, 24 Sep 2021 05:53:14 GMT by Sharis
Hello, I got the similar problem. I cannot register for self assessment online because I don't have valid post code or National Insurance Number. However, I started receiving rental income since September 2020. I have applied NRL1 and got the approval letter already last year. Yet, I have not received the UTR for self assessment. I have then sent SA1 to HMRC in August 2021 but still no feedback is received. Should I wait until I get the UTR? Will there be penalty if I am unable to submit tax return 2020-2021 before 31 Oct 2021 in this case? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Sep 2021 06:07:30 GMT by cwyu
Hi, I have already applied for NRL by mail and approved. I received an email about the NRL application but no UTR for self-assessment received yet. Thank you !
Posted Sat, 04 Jun 2022 14:25:35 GMT by Dave Lucas
I am a non-resident landlord. I have a UTR number I am registered for Self Assessment I have been submitting tax returns by courier for the last few years I need to register to submit tax returns online I have received a government gateway ID number I am unable to sign in online because the postcode validation fails and i am told THE INFORMATION YOU GAVE US DOES NOT MATCH OUR RECORDS I contacted the Online Service Help Desk asked how to resolve this, they suggested registering as a business and not an individual as there will be a checkbox to tick saying "I do not Live in the UK" however it still requests a postcode. I contacted the Online Service Help Desk again who then told me to contact Self Assessment and ask them what Post Code was on record for me. I contacted Self Assessment who told me the Post Code on record, this was the same post code i had been using when I was told THE INFORMATION YOU GAVE US DOES NOT MATCH OUR RECORDS. I then contacted the Digital Customer Support Team via an online form and outlined the problem. They responded saying that the Digital Online Support Team was only for "Technical Enquiries" As a non resident landlord, who lives in a third world country where postal service is non-existant and couriers are unreliable (FEDEX delivered the last tax return 4 days after the deadline because of a "problem") I REALLY REALLY NEED TO SUBMIT TAX RETURNS ONLINE. PLEASE ADVISE
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 12:41:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If our Online Services Helpdesk are unable to help, you will not be able to complete the verification to file online. You will need to continue to submit returns by paper.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.