Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:11:47 GMT by Prasad Bathala
Hi , We have accumulated a very huge balance of KiddiVouchers childcare vouchers and due to post covid circumstances/ work arrangements, we don't see a way of using all of them up. Pls can you confirm HMRC policy on the refunds? Thanks
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:40:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Please contact the Childcare Service team for advice.

Childcare Service helpline

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 16:17:04 GMT by Prasad Bathala
Hi , Thank you reviewing the information. I have made contact with Childcare Service Helpline and has been advised to reach out to HMRC for the guidance as the query is related to refund of childcare vouchers. Kind regards
Posted Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:56:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The vouchers would need to be returned to your employer for them to arrange any refund due.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:37:41 GMT by Prasad Bathala
Hi , Thank you for the advice. Childcare voucher provider is refusing refund stating it is only done in exceptional circumstances. Pls can you advice if that's correct? Pls can you advice. Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:53:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

This is not something we would be able to advise on. It would depend on the process of the company providing the vouchers.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:05:57 GMT by Prasad Bathala
Hi, Thank you for the reply. Sorry I was not very clear. The company is quoting HMRC rules on the refund, hence seeking advice/guidance on the policy. Pls see their policy statement on the refund: Page9 in this has a statement about HMRC rules; “Can I receive a refund for unused Childcare Vouchers? Under HMRC guidelines, refunds are only allowed if you are unable to use your vouchers as a result of exceptional and unforeseeable circumstances. Any refunds will require the agreement of your employer. Refunds must be processed through PAYE, so tax and National Insurance will be deducted. Pls can you kindly advice. Kind regards
Posted Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:31:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Their policy is the actual HMRC guidlines and you will therefore need to provide details of the exceptional and unforseeable circumstances to your employer for them to consider any potential refund on the unused vouchers.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:49:48 GMT by Prasad Bathala
Hi, Thank you for the reply. Pls can you classify what is an exceptional circumstance - as the statement is very vague and might differ from person to person. School/clubs our little one attends does not accept child care vouchers for payments which makes it exceptional to use the accumulated vouchers. And also based on personal circumstances(which can't be discussed on a forum like this or for that matter with a service provider) means that there is no way of using up the accumulated vouchers and this can be classed as exception at personal level. It seems bit unfair, as this is hard earned money and seeking refund of it after appropriate deductions is not unreasonable. This rule needs reviewing, pls can you advice on how I can raise/appeal this. Regards, 
Posted Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:15:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
The guidance at ARTG1100 advises that you will need to write to our complaints team, regarding your dissatisfaction (Complaints and appeals)
ARTG2040 explains your rights of appeal (Reviews and appeals overview).
There is also general guidance at (Complaints and appeals: detailed information).  
The childcare helpline may also be of some help.  
Their telephone number is 0300 123 4097 or write to:
Childcare Service
BX9 1GR.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.