Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 08:08:32 GMT by Arindam Ray
Hi, We are a small UK based firm that is having difficulty finding permanent employees with the right skillset in software development from the UK. Relocating someone with the right skillset aside, do we have the option of hiring someone who lives overseas as a permanent employee? Since our way of remote working and collaboration does not need physical relocation to the UK, is there a way to hire someone from a country that has a tax treaty with the UK and avoid paying taxes twice? What are some of the caveats/restrictions to watch out for? Thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:30:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Arindam Ray,

There are certain appendix schemes that can be set up for these purposes, that may be suitable but as the UK has various different treaties for Tax and NI it can be quite complicated.

We would recommend you contact the Employers Helpline on 0300 200 3200 to discuss in more detail.

Please also be advised we can only advise on specific situations so the more information you have the better.

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:35:54 GMT by Arindam Ray
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me on this. We are specifically considering engineers from the east of Europe, specifically Slovakia and Ukraine. The Ukrainian engineer under consideration lives in Poland at this moment. Regards

You must be signed in to post in this forum.