Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 Jun 2022 15:16:28 GMT by Carol Pat
Hi I am a BNO visa holder and will come to the UK around end of this July. My company was set up in Hong Kong (no UK presence) and I have been working as a Director. My questions: 1. What kind of taxable payment I need to operate? 2. When should I need to report my taxable income to HMRC if my entry is end of this July? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 10:09:16 GMT by Andrew Williams

You should complete the residency test online to determine if you are UK resident for tax purposes:

RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes

If you are, then as your income is not from a UK employer operating PAYE, you should complete a Self Assessment form for the year 2022/23 declaring this as foreign employment income. 

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 15 Oct 2022 23:26:05 GMT by michelin
Hi, I have a similar situation as Carol Pat. I'm also acting as a director in Hong Kong company and am receiving director's fee from it. When I tried to register Self Assessment and getting a tax return (form SA1), one of the reasons (I am a company director) in the form says that "company directors with income taxed at source and no further tax to pay do not need to complete a tax return". Could HMRC please clarify whether I should still need to file a self-assessment form to declare the director's fee which I received but has been taxed in Hong Kong in full? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:08:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You state that you are a director of a foreign company. 

The criteria you mention is referring to a UK company, which is why it tells you a tax return is not required. 

As your income from this company is classed as foreign income and is criteria for completing a self assessment tax return. 

On a paper tax return, you would complete SA100 and SA106, claiming foreign tax credit relief.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.