Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 10:05:48 GMT by Nahomi14
I have issues to access my Gateway account. I get this message "You will be asked to give details about two items you may have, like your: UK passport payslips or P60 Self Assessment tax credits and Ireland driving licence Choose 2 items we can ask you about: 1. UK passport- You need a valid UK passport 2 Credit reference questions For example, the year you took out a credit card or phone contract 3 Northern Ireland driving licence... But I don't have two of these items. I have a Swiss passport. I don't have a driving licence or credit reference. I contacted the helpline number and the person who I spoke to was unable to help me. If I may, he just didn't even care and was silent the entire time. So now, please tell how I can access my account?
Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 15:39:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unable to verify with the options for Government Gateway, the otherway to try is setting up an account using GOV.UK Verify.

If you are unable to use verify you will not be able to set up an online account.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 18:05:18 GMT by Lung Yin Hsu
Hello, the Gov.uk verify services have just been disabled, I am facing the same situation. I have valid P60 forms and payslip but they are not showing up as options.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 11:12:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you have valid P60s and payslips and these are not offered as an option, you would need to report this issue by selecting the link
'get help with this page' or 'is this page not working properly' to report this to our digital team.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 11:00:40 GMT by niah.w
I have the same issue as Lung Yin and what's funny is that I am an Irish passport holder who has been living in the UK for a very long time and yet for the very first time I feel alienated. How can the only verification option be to submit your passport details or North Ireland licence details. This is very discriminatory and unreasonable because what that tells me is that except you are a British citizen then one cannot access his/her own account even though they are tax paying legal residents of the UK. This is really appalling and annoying. I was advised to call the tax office no to get my tax code knowing fully well that that line is always so busy

[Personal information removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 23 Nov 2022 12:22:47 GMT by Dave appleyard
Like others I am fuming that use of this Gateway is being denied to me, someone who was born & has always lived in the UK. Although I have lived in my home for 42 years & pay all taxes I am told I have to provide personal information on TWO out of THREE items. I do not have a driving licence as I cannot afford to have or use a car I do not have a current passport as I cannot afford to go abroad I do not have, nor can I afford, a credit card. What am I expected to do? Spend an inordinate amount of money phoning a help line? In the current situation, with extortionate energy prices being charged by rip-off rogues just to try to keep warm enough to not suffer hypothermia, the government should, at least, be offering free contact with its agencies.
Posted Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:09:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dave appleyard,

There are currently no alternative methods for verifying for the Government Gateway.
Any contact with HMRC would need to be in writing or by telephone.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:46:00 GMT by Andrew Walker
I have used HMRC self assessment for myself and my wife successfully for many years. Logging on this year via the Government Gateway I find that both my wife's and my Government Gateway ID no longer work because they have not been used for three years (!). I successfully went through the driving licence/passport validation for my wife and managed to log in with the new number yesterday. and completed her self assessment successfully. Today I went through the same validation procedure for myself. I obtained a new gateway ID and have tried to log in. However, the site now says I have two identities and must log on with my HMRC user ID. On the next page it asks my new Government Gateway ID and then takes me back to same page which says I have two ID's and must use my HMRC user ID. I am in a doom-loop! I have called the HMRC self assessment and am now been on hold on that 'phone line for 40 minutes. Please respond urgently to this email. Andrew Walker 10/01/2023 @ 1545.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:50:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andrew Walker,

If you are unable to access Self Assessment with the new ID, there will still be an old ID linked to SA.
If you do not have this ID please contact our Online Services Helpdesk.
Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.