Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 May 2023 15:01:02 GMT by Jane31
I’m astonished to read here that HMRC don’t accept the online summary of a Power of Attorney - a system created by Government to make processes easier. So I have to send a certified copy. I hold a Power of Attorney for my son who is living and working abroad just now and there is an issue to be resolved about his tax code. What HMRC address should I use when sending in the certified copy?
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 15:54:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

You should use the address listed at the bottom of this page here - 

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 07:54:15 GMT by Jane31
I’ve sent the certified copy PoA to the address given and, according to Royal Mail tracking, it was collected in Wolverhampton on 17 May. My first question is how long will it take for the certified copy to be returned to me? I hold the PoA for my son who is currently working in Gabon. He has been granted non-dom status but it seems that HMRC has not notified his UK employer of this so tax is still being deducted. This is the issue that I want to resolve. What HMRC phone number(s) do I use to (a) find out whether the PoA is now noted on my son’s account, and (b) resolve the substantive issue about deduction of tax? Thanks
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 12:34:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
When the mail is scanned onto our system, the document would be returned within 2-3 weeks.
You would need to contact our Income Tax department for any queries:
Thank you
Posted Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:28:26 GMT by
Hello I posted a printed copy of my Power of Attorney for Financial Affairs for my father back in May. This has been returned to me but I have heard nothing further. What should I expect from HMRC to know that they have agreed that I can managed my father's tax affairs on his behalf?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:41:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

No confirmation is issued. If you contact our Income Tax team we can confirm if the post has been processed.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:18:21 GMT by
Hi, I note that 8 months ago (in answer to a previous query on this forum) HMRC does not accept the online summary for PoAs. I find this unbelievable as it was developed by the Government precisely to make this kind of thing a little easier and reduce unnecessary effort and stress. Please can you advise a timeline for when this excellent online system will be embraced by HMRC. I am reluctant to put important documents in the post if this absurd situation is likely to be fixed in a few months' time. Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:22:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi chris fletcher,
At present it would need to be the original or certified copy of the POA sent to HMRC with a covering letter.
The address is:
HMRC, Self Assessment & PAYE, BX9 1AS UK.
We do not have a timeline for when POA's will be accepted online. 
Thank you, 

Posted Sun, 03 Mar 2024 15:58:40 GMT by Tullamore Dew
Hi, I would like confirmation as to what information should be included in the letter when sending in the power of attorney. Can you find the donor from their name, address and date of birth, or do you need their NI number as well?
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:00:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Tullamore Dew,
You will need to send the original or certified copy of the power of attorney with a covering letter.
On the letter you will need to include the individulas name, address, date of birth and national insurance number. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.