Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:52:14 GMT by marci
Hi, I got my tax refund on a cheque but I'd like to get it on my bank account instead. How can I give you my bank details? Thanks
Posted Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:41:31 GMT by Joseph Hurling
Hello, I'm hoping for some advice or experience from a HMRC admin or someone who's been through something similar in the past. After querying the whereabouts of my cheque, I received a letter stating that the cheque sent to me had been cashed in. Needless to say, this was extremely concerning as I have never received one and can prove through bank statements I haven't, if called upon. The letter advised I should write to "Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment" stating I haven't received my cheque if this was the case, which the telephone operator reiterated. Given that most HMRC staff are working from home, given the current climate, writing a letter as the only means of resolving this seems archaic. What am I up against, will my letter ever see the light of day and will I see any of this money? Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 12 Jan 2021 17:04:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

The adviser that you have spoken to over the phone has given the correct information.

Due to the circumstances and severity of your situation, HMRC will need to investigate this matter fully, something that we do not have the facility to do over a phone call or webchat.

Therefore, we ask that you write to us at Pay as You Earn and Self-Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United kingdom advising us that you did not get this payable order.

Please confirm your full name, date of birth whether you have ever lived at the address it was sent to, whether the address we used is secure and if you have reported it to the police, please include the crime reference.

Rest assured this will be picked up by our back office and investigated.


Posted Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:01:49 GMT by Francis Groves
I received a cheque from HMRC for the tax year 2018-2019, which I've just discovered amongst my paperwork which I never cashed for some reason, it's a repayment of Income Tax. As there's a 6 month window to cash a cheque, I guess it's now worthless. Does anyone have any advice on this matter, or experienced a similar situation themselves? Is it even possible to get this re-issued if I return the actual cheque?
Posted Mon, 01 Feb 2021 10:07:21 GMT by Alvin
Hi, I received a cheque from HMRC last year for my tax refund from 2019,but i could'nt encash it, 'cause the name indicate on my cheque is not my full name.It's hard to access your site 'cause i'm here in the Philippines.My cousin is in London and i want to transfer my cheque to him.How can i transfer my cheque to him?Is it possible?Please help me...Thank you and God bless
Posted Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:47:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
If you were unable to cash the cheque and wish us to send a new cheque to your cousin you will need to contact us on webchat or call our Taxes helpline on +44 135 535 9022 to tell us your cousins name and address to send a replacement cheque to.
Posted Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:20:09 GMT by Sarah Burgess
Hello, I have a 2 tax refund cheques that were issued more than 6 months a go. I have read your previous advice to contact an advisor by phone however, your phone lines are understandably, extremely busy at the moment. I am wondering if it is possible to send the relevant information by post in order to make some progress. If so, could you please advise what information I need to provide. I am in possession of the original cheques. Do I need to send these back to HMRC? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:10:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Yes you can send the original cheques by post and covering letter with your personal details and we would be able to look at sending replacement cheques.
Posted Mon, 15 Feb 2021 19:35:16 GMT by Story9
I have just found a tax rebate cheque dated back to last year what do I need to do about it can I get it resent to me
Posted Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:00:43 GMT by lauren Nightingale
i have been going through some old post and found one from HMRC saying that i was due a tax refund and that if i didnt claim online then a cheque would be sent to me. No cheque has been sent and this letter was dated June 2020, how can I find out more about his and what to do next?
Posted Wed, 24 Feb 2021 12:10:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would either need to call or use our webchat facilty to enquire about the repayment, please see our contact details below:
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Mar 2021 13:12:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Adrielle Jesus,

You would need to check with your bank to see if they allow someone else to deposit a cheque into your account.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:08:29 GMT by HNguyen
Hi, I received a letter from HMRC stating that they will send me a cheque within 14 days with the amount owned to me but its been over 3 weeks and I was wondering how long does cheque normally take to arrive?
Posted Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:53:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello Dhana.

You would need to contact the taxes helpline on 0300 200 3300 to have cheque canceled and reissued to a nominee

Thank You.
Posted Wed, 17 Mar 2021 14:25:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Cheques can take up to 3 weeks if you have not received then contact the taxes helpline on 0300 200 3300 to request a replacement.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:27:26 GMT by vathsala nagaraju
HI HMRC, I have received a cheque from you as part of income tax refund. While claiming the only option was "send cheque" to home address in another country. I don't think these cheques will be accepeted by indian banks, so how can get it credited to my UK bank account?
Posted Wed, 24 Mar 2021 12:40:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi vathsala nagaraju,

We can only send a cheque to you or a nominee. If there is someone in the UK we can send a cheque to instead you need to contact our taxes department https:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:03:04 GMT by IvanIliev
Hello and thank you for your service. A few days ago I have claimed a tax return because I haven't reached my personal allowance. Yesterday I have received a message that you have sent me a cheque. In the P50SUB form, I gave my overseas address on the option if some letters have to be sent. Because of the pandemic situation, I do not live in the UK at the moment. My question is where that cheque was sent? Is it sent to my UK address or the overseas address I gave? Kind Regards.
Posted Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:29:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to check with our Taxes department:
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 May 2021 01:53:03 GMT by Jakeg1997 Gimblett
I've submitted an amendment to my return and I'm not sure if it has been processed or what is happening, if my tax code has changed and it says I'm owed money has it been processed or not? Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.